A tailored and hardened Ethernet switch for video surveillance
The European leader in the storage of petroleum and chemical products entrusted the company Sogetrel with the task of examining one of its sites for the implementation of an extensive optical fibre video surveillance system.
As part of this project, we were consulted in 2016 for the supply of Ethernet remoting equipment and especially for industrial type “earth” Ethernet switches, as compact as possible.
Installed in the terrain sub-distribution cabinets, the switches had to be easy to insert and fix in confined spaces. Intended to focus the arrival of several optical fibres as well as copper connections, our customer sent us their specifications for the invention of a bespoke product.
Customer’s main specifications:
- An industrial-type compact format switch for fixing on a Din rail
- A minimum of 8 optical fibre ports 2 LC strands or SC 10/100 Mbit/s and 2 Gigabit/s ports
- Option to choose the type of single mode or multimode fibre
- 2 copper ports
- A 12 VDC or 24 VAC supply
- Manageable switch
- Minimum V2 IGMP support
- Spanning Tree support
- Possibility of cascading 2 switches
Around 20 Switches.
An immediate need
To be used to secure a high-risk site, the video surveillance system must be functional before the end of the year, i.e. for IFOTEC a period of 2½ months from the receipt of order for design, manufacturing and delivery.
In order to respond to this challenge, our design department decided to capitalise on the development of the 10-port modular switch in a 19″1U rack, opting for its redesign.
Working on the design of a new, smaller housing, our engineering teams also concentrated on a complete SFP solution.
Fully equipped with optical or copper SFP module ports, this new compact switch will be able to respond to the different connection configurations on the network. Manageable, the switch has many features.
Designed, manufactured and delivered on time, the IFOTEC solution has responded to the constraints of size, temperature resistance (harsh environment) and complies with the technical and management features requested by our customer. It also added modularity features making it scalable.
The new HNDF-2GE8FX switch is thus equipped with:
- 2 ports for SFP, Gigabit Ethernet
- 8 ports for SFP 100Mbit/s
- The SFP modules are to be selected in the IFOTEC range for transmission on 2 fibres on the optical network.
This equipment makes it possible to concentrate the IP camera signals from the 100 Mbit/s on 1 or 2 Gigabit links Ethernet optical fibre links.
The two accesses to the wide area network are provided by Gigabit optical or copper SFP modules which make it possible to interconnect with any type of network and equipment.
The 2 Gigabit Ethernet links also make it possible to cascade the switches and to build a fibre loop network secured with RSTP protocol.
The HNDF-2GE8FX switch supports many software functions such as:
- VLAN configuration
- QoS management, flow control
- Spanning Tree, Rapid Spanning Tree
- IGMP Snooping V1/V2 for the management of multicast streams
- Triggering of the automatic loading of the configuration via DHCP options
- Supervision by TELNET and Web server
- Monitoring via SNMP (outputs, links status)
- Management of configuration file (by Web page or TFTP)
Small in size and equipped with a DIN rail mount (removable), the HNDF-2GE8FX switch is now installed in the sub-distribution cabinets of different concentration points scattered across the industrial site.
As this new switch has aroused the interest of other IFOTEC customers, it has now been included in our price list.